Thursday, October 30, 2014

Promises, Promises

I can do all things through Christ who gives me strength. Philippians 4:13


Have you ever heard this phrase before: "God never gives you more than you can handle."?  I'm sure you have, it's a pretty common phrase.  But, have you ever tried to find it in the bible?  You won't, because it's not there.  It's not a promise from God.


I can tell you there WILL be times that things will happen in your life, that you CANNOT handle.  Things that no friend or family member can deliver you from.  Things that you cannot make sense of, or muster up enough power, to overcome.  Things that will shatter you in every way imaginable.  Roads that you will be, seemingly, asked to walk alone.  But you are NEVER alone.  That's a promise (Joshua 1:9, Hebrews 13:5).


God never promised that if we love Him and live for Him that our lives will be easy.  He never promised that we will never have to deal with fear, or heartache, or pain, or loss...


He did however, promise us some pretty amazing things:


For I know the plans I have for you," declares the LORD, "plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future. Jeremiah 29:11


So do not fear, for I am with you; do not be dismayed, for I am your God. I will strengthen you and help you; I will uphold you with my righteous right hand. Isaiah 41:10


Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9


You will keep in perfect peace those whose minds are steadfast, because they trust in you.
Isaiah 26:3


See, I am doing a new thing! Now it springs up; do you not perceive it? I am making a way in the wilderness and streams in the wasteland. Isaiah 43:19


being confident of this, that he who began a good work in you will carry it on to completion until the day of Christ Jesus. Philippians 1:6


I won't pretend to know what our lives will look like from here on out.  I do know that as I go before the Lord with our hopes, our prayers, and our petitions, I will do my best to rest on the promises He has given me; promises He has given us all.  I will do my best to keep my feet on His solid ground (Psalm 40:2).











1 comment:

  1. AMEN! Holding onto those promises with you...right now. Love you!

    ReplyDelete