Sunday, October 19, 2014

The Original

The school year of 2010-2011, I took a writing class.  I wanted to see if writing would help me process and begin to heal from all we'd been through.  This was my first ever piece.  The writing prompt was to pick a number...

Shannon McLeod
September 29, 2010



Twenty-three

Twenty-three days old.  A mother sits with her new-born child.  She rocks her in a chair.  She is beginning to get the hang of this life that she has welcomed into hers.  This life that will grow to be twenty-four and twenty-five days old and on and on for years to come.  This life that she grew within herself and has known already for nine months.  Nine months…..and twenty-three days.

Twenty-three days old.  The only measure of life, of age, that can be used for my child, my children actually.  My third and fourth children, both daughters.  Death at the age of twenty-three days.  How strange.  Why twenty-three days?  Twenty-three days, two separate times, two separate years.  Way too young.  No twenty-four, no twenty-five days old and on and on for years to come.  Nothing and no one to get the hang of.  No life to learn.

Twenty-three days of life once was…..sweet.  A surprise from her powerful life that was to have none.  Each breath she took, each day she woke, was such a gift.  How lucky we were to be able to spend that time with an infant deemed “incompatible with life”. 

Twenty-three days twice was…….a cruel joke.  And where the first time we moved through this space alert and with grace that could only come from nothing human but once was, the second time felt like we were being punched in the face, in the gut, over and over.  Where has the grace gone?  Where is my focus?  “Incompatible with life”, again. 

My focus was on her, on her life but it wasn’t enough.  I wasn’t enough.  There was too little left and we knew even less of what to expect with her, less of what to expect from her life that would prove to be too short for any life, again.  Maybe we should have known.  Maybe we should have assumed the worst instead of hoping for the best.  Maybe we were foolish to believe that an infant born with more brain tissue than none would mean there would be some life.  Some.  More.  Life.  Certainly more than just twenty-three days of life.  Again. 

The human body, the human mind will try to protect itself subconsciously from such trauma.  The trauma of losing a child.  But by my mind and body doing this, I am now left with regrets.  I so wish I could have been to Eadie, our fourth, what I was able to be for Josie, our third.  But, it was just too painful.  Twice?  Yet, it was all there was.  Twenty-three days.  Too late.

We hoped for Josie’s life too.  We believed she could live, that they could be wrong.  That a brain would just….appear?  We believed Our Savior would heal her because He could have.  He didn’t.

To hope again was crazy, right?  How could a parent help it?  To believe the best for your child, full of life, or not.  To cling to hope is the only way to survive it.  Foolish.  Child like faith.  The only proper response.

I’m not exactly sure what it all looked like, this second twenty-three days.  There was no way to fight it.  This human protection mode made this space in time, in my life, like a fog.  Rolling in, rolling out.  Was it there?  I heard it (her).  Was it there?  I felt it (her). It was gone before I could grasp it.  Too late.

So, now I live with regret.  Two hundred and seventy-nine days, and counting, of regret.  Hope has become my enemy.  I can only hope it won’t always be.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment